Dreamy Chai & Vanilla Cream Cookies
High amounts of sugar before bedtime can impact your sleep, but don’t worry, we’ve got a recipe that’s sweet, low in sugar and will do your body a world of good.
These vegan low-sugar cookies come from our friends at Health Food Project and are packed with good nutrients:
- Almonds are amazing morsels containing both iron and zinc, both of which are essential for eliminating brain fatigue and balancing mood.
- Cinnamon is great because it can aid in naturally balancing blood sugar levels. When blood sugar levels are balanced, your hormones can function in a way that allows for better sleep!
- Nutmeg has a calming effect when consumed in smaller doses. According to Ayurveda, a pinch of nutmeg can have de-stressing effects and can be used with a pinch of cardamom for added benefits.
Chai & Vanilla Cream Cookies
(vegan, gluten free, low sugar)
Makes 12 filled cookies (24 single cookies)
Prep time: 30 minutes + soak time
Cook time: 15 minutes
Chai & Cinnamon Cashew Cream:
- 2/3 cup natural cashews
- 1 tbs loose leaf chai (we used an organic blend containing cardamon, star anise, cloves cinnamon and ginger)
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of vanilla
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
To make the cream:
- Soak the cashews for at least 30 minutes to an hour in plain water.
- Steep the chai tea in 1⁄2 cup hot water while the cashews are soaking.
- Pour the chai into a blender, along with the drained cashews and maple syrup. Blend until smooth and creamy and once combined, chill in the fridge.
To make the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 160ºC. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture between 2 sheets of baking paper and use rolling pin to roll to 1mm thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out an even number of cookies. Place on a baking tray and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes until slightly golden. Leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, pipe cashew cream onto one cookie, and top with a second. Continue until all cookies are filled. Enjoy.
Browse our Sleep Eats recipes to help nourish your body and rest easy.