We recently reached out to the beautiful Clare at Shared Table Cooking to celebrate the release of her book. This incredible summer dish is not only delicious, but also contains Eggplant - an ingredient high in the amino acid GABA, which helps regulate our sleep!
Try this recipe out with your friends, family and loved ones and experience the joy and beauty of sharing a delicious meal (you could make it even more special by bringing it to Christmas lunch.) This dish is entirely vegan and gluten free, meaning everyone and anyone can enjoy a bite. It serves 10–15 as a side, or 8 as a meal.
If you're in the market for more fantastic recipes like this one, order the Shared Table Cookbook online and gain access to a world of food to warm the heart.
Note from Clare:
"I love this meal best eaten warm or at room temperature. If you think you’re going to eat some now and some in the days to come, I’d recommend re-heating, dressing and topping as you go. Everything keeps really well, but hot pomegranate isn’t really my cup of tea (though I am willing to be persuaded!).
In this recipe I have roasted the eggplant in a grill pan, but, if you have one, a grill sandwich press does the job wonderfully as well. If you have neither, roasting the slices in the oven until golden and soft will also work. The main aim is to ensure the eggplant is completely soft and golden brown. This is essential for this dish.
Everyone seems to have different methods of deseeding a pomegranate. Personally, I quarter mine and then submerge it in a bowl of water and pull out the seeds. The white pith will float to the top, the seeds will sink, and you’ll be able to just drain the bowl and have all the lovely little jewels ready to go."
olive oil, for drizzling
3 eggplants, sliced into 1cm thick slices
4 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice1⁄2 cup warm water1⁄2 tsp cumin powder
1 pomegranate, deseeded
3 ripe tomatoes, diced into 1⁄2 cm chunks
1 small red onion, finely diced
1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped
1⁄2 bunch coriander, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
100g slivered almonds1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1. Heat a grill frying pan with a good drizzle of olive oil. Add eggplant slices and cook on each side for about 5 minutes or until coloured and softening. Sprinkle each piece with a little salt. Repeat until you have cooked all slices well. Arrange the cooked eggplant on a big platter or wide bowl.
2. To make the dressing, blend tahini, oil, salt, lemon juice, warm water and cumin in a food processor, or you can whisk by hand until combined. It should be thick but drizzle-able. Test the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
3. Assemble the salsa by combining everything together in a bowl. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Toast the almonds with olive oil and salt in a small frypan, stirring often for 3–5 minutes until they’re golden brown.
5. Top the eggplant with the tahini sauce, spoon over the salsa and finish with the toasted almonds. Garnish with extra herbs if you like.
Images by Savannah van der Niet
Styling by Issy Fitzsimons @issyfitzsimons
Dish handmade by Two Warm Hands @twowarmhandsceramics
Find out more about Shared Table online or on at @sharedtablecooking