We chatted to certified sleep and wellness expert Arianna Huffington to pick up some of her tips on how we can sleep better. Dedicated to revolutionising the way we sleep, Arianna has given is some clever and often overlooked ideas for improving our sleep quality overall. Best of all, these ideas are all so simple and easy to integrate into your own sleep ritual that you can try them tonight!
How to Get Better Sleep, Starting Tonight
Here are 12 tips I recommend for better sleep:
1. Create a bedroom environment that’s dark, quiet, and cool (between 60 and 67 degrees).
2. Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
3. Don’t charge your phone next to your bed. Even better: Gently escort all devices completely out of your room.
4. Stop drinking caffeine after 2 p.m.
5. Use your bed for sleep and sex only—no work!
6. Keep pets off the bed (sorry, Mr. Snuffles).
7. Take a hot bath with Epsom salts in the evening to help calm your mind and body. The Goodnight Co.'s range of bath products are crafted with natural ingredients designed to help you drift into dreamland.
8. Wear pajamas, nightdresses, or even a special T-shirt—it’ll send a sleep-friendly message to your body. If you wore it to the gym, don’t wear it to bed.
9. Do some light stretching, deep breathing, yoga, or meditation to help your body and your mind transition to sleep.
10. Choose a real book or an e-reader that does not emit blue light, if you like to read in bed. And make sure it’s not work-related: novels, poetry, philosophy—anything but work.
11. Sip camomile or lavender tea to ease yourself into sleep mode.
12. Write down a list of what you’re grateful for before bed. It’s a great way to make sure your blessings get the closing scene of the night. You could try using a journal to document your thoughts and dreams!
For more easy ways you can build your sleep ritual, try looking at some natural alternatives to helping you drift off.