Tis the season to curl up on the couch and enjoy a winter warming soup - and this one does not disappoint. Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Maddy Trueman, knows a thing or two about delicious and nutritious food! She's sharing her go-to Healing Pumpkin Soup recipe so you too can boost your immunity this winter.
Maddy's Healing Pumpkin Soup
- 1 whole pumpkin
- 2-inch piece of ginger
- 2-inch piece of turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 brown onions
- 3tbsp ghee or oil of your choice
- Approx 2L chicken bone broth or vegetable stock
- 1-2 400ml cans of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
Optional add ins:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 carrots
- Jar of red thai curry paste
- Can of brown lentils
- Handful of baby spinach
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees fan forced.
2. Chop pumpkin into large wedges. Remove the seeds. You can leave the skin on or remove it later.
3. Roughly cut all remaining vegetables. Place all vegetables onto oven trays and coat in ghee or oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over trays.
4. Place tray in oven and bake until all vegetables are very soft and caramelised, approx 1 hour. If you have the time you can bake the vegetables at a lower temp (120-150) for longer and this will give it a really beautiful flavour.
5. Once the vegetables are cooked transfer them into a large saucepan or pot. Cover with broth or stock and bring to a simmer. Using a stick blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add coconut milk and continue to mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. At this stage you can add the curry paste, drained lentils or spinach if you are using them. Serve with toppings of your choice!
Love this recipe? You can find Maddy on Instagram @maddytrueman for plenty more healthy food inspiration!